TCD Life offers hosting to all capitated College clubs and societies as well as a number of other groups and organizations in College. The procedure for requesting hosting for a new site and/or gaining access to, or requesting help with, publishing to existing sites is as follows:
- All users must be familiar with, and adhere to, the terms and conditions governing the hosting of sites on TCD Life.
- The sharing of usernames and passwords for access to the server is strictly prohibited. All users must have permissions and connect with their own usernames and passwords.
- Sports clubs under DUCAC - All requests for access permissions should be made directly to DUCAC who will approve and log requests for individual users.
- Societies under CSC - All requests for access permissions should be made to the CSC who will approve and log requests for individual users.
- All other sites - Requests for new sites should be made to the IT Service Desk. Please include detailed information about whom and what you are, and what you know of your hosting requirements, to help us process your request more swiftly.
- Users who have permissions but have technical or support queries should log their calls with the IT Service Desk. Where more than one individual is publishing to a particular site requests should be logged by the site administrator.
- Requests to change a designated site administrator should be made to DUCAC or the CSC as appropriate, who will approve and log requests for individual users. In the case of non DUCAC/CSC sites, requests should be made by the outgoing administrator.
Technical information for publishing to www.tcdlife.ie
- See http://www.tcd.ie/itservices/internet/tcdlife.php . When following any configuration instructions simply substitute www.tcdlife.ie for www.tcd.ie in the host settings.
- Interactions with www.tcdlife.ie is via secure ftp i.e. all publishing should be done with a suitable desktop client. User accounts operate under a restricted shell that will allow users who log into a terminal session on the server to change their passwords only. No other commands may be run from the command line. (This is the situation for all staff and student accounts on the web servers www.tcd.ie and www.tcdlife.ie).
- Only computers on the College network can connect to the web server for upload.
- The items of information required to connect to the server will be:
host : www.tcdlife.ie
username & password : individuals own username and default* College password
remote folder location : As advised. These vary according to each site but are generally in the form:
- CSC sites - /www.tcdlife.ie/societies/sitename where sitename corresponds to the domain name in the url .
- DUCAC sites - /www.tcdlife.ie/clubs/sitename where sitename corresponds to the domain name in the url .
- All other sites - /www.tcdlife.ie/sitename where sitename corresponds to the domain name in the url .
- Note the use of case in the remote folder location (lower) and the preceding / (the omission of which is a common cause of error).
* tcdlife server accounts are set up by default with original College passwords. Passwords expire every 90 days and should be changed on or before that interval elapses to ensure continued access. Expiry notification emails will be sent daily for a week prior to expiry. The instructions for changing webauthor passwords can be used with the substitution of tcdlife for the host name. Passwords may not be reused and should conform to password guidelines.